The buyer normally organises house-owners insurance to take effect from the day of settlement. If you have a mortgage, the insurance company should note the interest of your lender on the insurance policy.

You will have to provide details of the policy to your lawyer as your lender will not advance funds until it has proof of insurance. Also, check that any contents insurance you hold covers your contents while in transit.